Almost three & half years back, I was given the responsibility to serve this great industrial organization (which is the largest in the world, & one & only, working tirelessly & selflessly, for the betterment of MSMEs, across the length & breadth of India, from J/K & Laddakh in the North to Kanyakumari in the South, & from Assam in the East to Goa in the West, having units in more than 500 industrial towns, in 370 districts of India), as President of LUB-Punjab. I took over from the persistent, rationale,visionary & inventive Sh. Dinesh Lakra (who is presently serving LUB, as its national secretary).
I was attached to LUB-Jalandhar, by late Sh. Pankaj Dhir (the then LUB-Jalandhar President, & VP LUB-Punjab), in 2008. He remained the main guiding force for me throughout. His untimely & unfortunate departure left a great void not only in LUB (which was yet to recover from another shocking demise of Sh.Ashwani Kapoor – former LUB-Jalandhar President & Chairman VAT committee), but for MSMEs as a whole.
Er. Sh. Vinod Jain (past national president LUB & now prabhari North India), inducted me in Punjab team (eight years ago), as General Secretary, when Sh. Dinesh Lakra was given the responsibility to lead LUB as its prant Pesident. I consider myself lucky to work with such able, focussed, selfless & hard-working people, who are ever-ready to guide & help, whenever approached.
During this period, I got the opportunity to attend national ECMs (Executive committee meetings) & AGMs (Annual General Meetings) in various Indian cities – Aurangabad – AGM (Sept. 2011), Raipur – ECM (April 2012), Amritsar – AGM (August 2012), Goa – ECM (April 2013), Indore –AGM (August 2013), Pune – ECM (May 2014), Jaipur – AGM (August 2014), Panchkula – ECM (April 2015), Nagpur – AGM (August 2015),Baroda — ECM (April 2016), Jabalpur — ECM (April 2017), New-Delhi — AGM (September 2017), Patna – ECM (April 2018) & Bhopal – ECM (September 2018) I got the opportunity to present the vrit (detailed report of LUB-Punjab prant activities) in all these National ECMs & AGMs (except in Baroda, where LUB-Punjab Gen.Sec.Sh.Samir Khanna presented the activity details), under the able guidance of Sh.Vinod Jain, Sh.Dinesh Lakra, Sh.Vijay Talwar & Sh. Sarv Daman Bharat, & got appreciation from national office-bearers.
LUB-Punjab suffered a great loss in May, 2018, with the untimely, unfortunate & sad demise of its Vice-President & senior member Sh.Arun Ralhan (Patiala)! He played a very important part in the successful organisation of National AGM at Amritsar in August, 2012, where he was head of the most important committee which welcomed the LUB-delegates (approximately 350 from all-across India) & allotted rooms to them, & he performed this responsibility exceptionally well!
Organizational Activities of LUB-Punjab, during 2011–2017 :
1. Membership of LUB-Punjab prant got doubled during this period. It rose from approximately 600 (Life-members) to around 1200 (Life-members);
2. There were 5 complete units of LUB-Punjab, before 2011, namely –Jalandhar, Phagwara, Goraya, Ludhiana & Sirhind
The number of complete units (having working & executive committees) rose to 14, with the addition of 9 new complete units, namely – Amritsar, Batala, Hoshiarpur, Patiala, Malerkotla, Mohali, Phillaur, Mandi-Govindgarh & Dera-Bassi.
The number of incomplete units (convener units) are six:
Taran-Taaran, Sultanpur/Kapurthala, Samrala, Nabha-Samana, sunam, Ferozepur.
3. LUB-Punjab had presence in the following 15 Industrial Towns of Punjab-Prant, before 2011 ; Amritsar, Batala, Jalandhar, Hoshiarpur, Phagwara, Goraya, Ludhiana, Khanna, Mandi-Govindgarh, Sirhind, Patiala, Malerkotla, Nabha, Samana & Sunam.
During the Tenure of the outgoing team between 2011-2017, LUB-Punjab established its presence in 11 more industrial towns of Punjab, namely –
Taran-Taran, Mohali, Dera-Bassi, Phillaur, Ferozepur, Samrala, Nawan-Shahar, Sultanpur-Lodhi, Kapurthala, Noor-Mahal & Bilga, (In this manner, now LUB-Punjab has its existence in over-all 26 cities of Punjab).
4. LUB-Punjab organized its quarterly executive meetings regularly at various places, namely – Jalandhar, Ludhiana, Phagwara, Phillaur, Sirhind, Malerkotla, Amritsar, Batala, Patiala, Sultanpur-Lodhi & Dera-Bassi. The regular minutes of these meetings were maintained & duly circulated to all the office-bearers of LUB-Punjab & its units, via e-mail, where-by they were requested to further send them to all the esteemed members of their respective units, so that, they too could become aware of the LUB-Punjab’s activities. Similarly, all information received from LUB head-office New-Delhi, too were forwarded to the LUB-Punjab executive members, with the same request to disseminate them to their unit members.
The activities of LUB across the length & breadth of this great-nation are uploaded on National website www.lubindia.com. Members were requested to visit this site regularly, to update themselves about the activities of LUB, both at National & state-level as well. All the activities of LUB-Punjab too are uploaded on this site.
LUB-Punjab also maintains a Facebook Page, in the name of Laghu Udyog Bharti – Punjab. All the activities of LUB-Punjab & its various units are uploaded from time to time on this Page!
The major organizational feats of LUB-Punjab:
i). National AGM cum Conference of LUB, in Amritsar in August 2012, where more than 400 LUB delagates from 25 LUB-Prants, across all major states of India, took part. This was till that time the largest ever congregation of LUB fraternity at one place.
ii). Zonal Conference of LUB was organised in Jalandhar on 19th of June, 2016, where around 250 delegates form 6 north-western prants – Delhi, Haryana, Chandigrh, HP, Punjab & J/K participated. The then National President Sh.O P Mittal, Natoinal Gen. Sec. Sh. Jitendra Gupt & National Org.Sec.Sh. Prakash ji Chandra were specifically present. Punjab Industries Minister Sh.Madan Mohan Mittal, J/K industries minister Sh. Chandra Prakash Ganga & Haryana Labour & energy minister Sh. Nayab Saini were guests of honour.
iii). The first-ever abhyas-varg of LUB-Punjab was organized in Hoshiarpur on 4th of December, 2016, where more than 100 delegates from many units of Punjab participated. This was the first such big event organised there. The then national President Sh.OP Mittal & national organizing secretary Sh. Prakash Chandra were specifically present. Officers from excise & Taxation department too were invited to make aware the LUB-delegates about various provisions of GST.
iv). On the invitation of Laddakh Hill Council Chairman Late Sh. Sonam Dava, LUB-Punjab played a pivotal role in organizing & making successful the first ever Aadi–Kailash & Sindhu-Darshan yatra of Ladakh, from 19th to 25th of June, 2017, where around 100 LUB-delegates from 12 states across India –
Assam, WestBengal, MP, Chattisgarh, Gujrat, Maharashtra Kerala, Rajasthan, Delhi HP, Punjab & J/K. LUB-J/K hosted this event & secured all the necessary NOCs from – Home, Defence, Foreign ministries, & J/K govt.
Union Minister Sh. Arjun Ram Meghwal was the chief guest in LUB –Seminar organized at Leh, & renowned social-worker Indresh ji was the guest of honour. On the insistence of the then national president Sh.OP Mittal, I sent the details of this historic & memorable journey, via e-mail to national head-office, & this got printed (as it is) in the June-2017 edition of national magazine Udyog Times (already distributed to LUB-Punjab members)
v). As I mentioned in my last News-Letter of March-2018, that, the working of many sincere & hard-working members at the unit/district levels have been observed & taken note-of, who could contribute at state level as well, some of them were inducted in the LUB-PWC (in September 2018), whose names (with their new responsibilities) are as follows:
1.Sh.Harish Gupta (Jalandhar) — as LUB-PUNJAB Sec.;
2.Sh.Puneet Dhingra (Malerkotla) — as LUB-PUNJAB Jt.Sec;
3.Sh.Amit Kapur (Amritsar) — as LUB-PUNJAB Jt.Sec;
4.Sh.Darshan Singh Sambih (Phillaur) — as LUB-PUNJAB Jt.Sec.
All these esteemed members have been serving this great organization, in their respective units, in the best of their capacity, & from now their services are being utilized by LUB-PUNJAB working committee, & they will also keep on serving their respective units, as they have been doing so far!
vi). LUB-Punjab representatives were invited (along with LUB North-West delegates) by Additional Director ESI Sh.Ravi Chandran, to attend a meeting with regard to the Demonstration of modified IMP Module/Concept and Dhanwantri Mobile App on 14/12/2018 at ESIC Headquarters, New Delhi. The meeting was chaired by ESIC Director Mr.Raj Kumar, Finance Commissioner ESIC Mrs.Sandhya Shukla, DMC Dhanvantri App Dr. Abhimanyu Panda, Dr.Kataria & other officials! Suggestions for the trial-run of ofDhanvantri Mobile App were given by LUB-delegates, & ESIC officials appreciated them & assured that, they will be taken care of in the implementation of this App! LUB-Punjab was represented by National Sec. & Member ESI Corporation Sh. Dinesh Lakra, LUB-Punjab President Adv. Arvind Dhumal, LUB Dera-Bassi President Sh. Anil Sharma, LUB Dera-Bassi Treasurer Sh. Suresh Gupta along-with LUB delegates from Delhi, Chandigarh & HP. The scheme was launched in Dera-Bassi
vii). This year LUB is celebrating its silver-jubilee (being formed 25 years ago on 24th of April, 1994), & all over the country Laghu Udyammi Sammellans are being organized in all the districts (where it is present) to make people aware of its activities & works done by it for the upliftment & betterment of MSMEs. In Punjab too such sammellans have been successfully conducted in – Dera-Bassi, Sirhind, Batala, Amritsar, Phillaur, Phagwara & Jalandhar, while in other units, these would be organised in the coming month of April, 2019. The state-level Laghu Udyammi Sammellan of Punjab was organised in Jalandhar on 24/02/2019, where National President LUB Sh. Jitendra ji Gupt was specifically present!
Establishment of LUB-Punjab Mahila Ikaai
LUB-Punjab (as per the directions form National Head-Office) constituted its first Mahila Ikaai (women wing), where in the state-level Laghu Udyammi Sammellan, held in Jalandhar on 24/02/2019, National President LUB Sh.Jitendra ji Gupt, appointed Smt.Archana Jain (Hoshiarpur) as First President & Smt. Seema Dhumal (Jalandhar) as first Gen.Sec. of LUB-Pujab Mahila-Ikaai. Sh.Dinesh Lakra (National Sec.) announced these nominations!
Constitution of Mahil Ikkai at District-level
LUB Mahila Ikaai National President Smt.Smita Ghaisis (Mumbai) & NWC member Smt.Anju Bajaj (Delhi)visited Punjab, & attened a meeteing of LUB-Punjab Mahila Ikaai. They both guided the newly appointed LUB-Punjab Mahila ikaai President Smt. Archana Jain & Gen.Sec.Smt.Seema Dhumal, about the working of Mahila ikaai, & stressed the need of educating the women entrepreneurs about the various schemes of govt., specifically meant for the betterment of women entrepreneurs. They then apppointed Conveners of District ikaai of LUB-Punjab in the following manner:
1. Jalandhar — Smt.Ashu Dhir;
2. Phagwara — Smt.Narinder Kaur Saggu;
3. Hoshiarpur — Smt. Priya Goyal.
Efforts done by LUB-Punjab for Punjab MSMEs
During the 2011 to 2017, LUB-Punjab raised many issues related to Punjab MSMEs at various administrative & govt. levels, & all efforts were done to get the much desired relief to the ailing Punjab small scale industrial sector. Following are some of those issues –
1. The focal-point enhancement issue of Jalandhar was vociferously raised by LUB Punjab, with the then Punjab industries Minister Sh.Tikshan ji Sud. He extended all possible assistance, & series of meetings were organized with PSIEC officials & representatives of the industry of focal-point Jalandhar. Late Sh. Pankaj ji Dheer, along with Sh. Dinesh ji Lakra & Er. Sh. Vinod ji Jain played pivotal part in this regard, & majority of concerns with respect to this issue were taken care of. A one-time settlement (OTS) formula was amicably worked out. Unfortunately, with the implementation of code of conduct for assembly elections, this arrangement could not materialize. Even then, LUB-Punjab kept on pressing for the solution of this issue, & some relief was got for focal-point Jalandhar plot holders, with regard to transfer of plots.
2. Industrial plots were issued to MSMEs in Batala industrial area, in early 1980s, which they could not occupy, owing to worsening law & order situation in border areas of Punjab. The Punjab govt. imposed penalty with interest for the entire period, on those industries, which applied for them. LUB-Punjab put-up this matter strongly with the then .Industries Minister Punjab Sh.Anil Joshi, who agreed to LUB’s point of view, & waived the entire penalty & interest for a period of 10 years (mired with terrorism). This was a major achievement of LUB-Punjab., & a great relief to Batala industrial-area plot holders.
3. Another problem for Punjab MSMEs was created by excise & taxation department Punjab’s draconian amendments in section 13 (1) of Punjab VAT Act, Form-15/Worksheet, by which tax was proposed to be imposed on stocks. This move of the department stirred up the hornest’s nestamongst MSMEs of Punjab. LUB-Punjab spearheaded the movement against this attitude of the department & led a delegation of MSMEs of Punjab to Local-bodies cum Medical education & Research cabinet minister govt. of Punjab Sh.Anil ji Joshi, to Amritsar, & complained about the unprofessional & anti-MSMEs behavior of excise & taxation department, which carried out 11 amendments in just 9 months. Sh. Anil ji Joshi threatened to resign, if the excise & taxation department did not take these measures back , within 48 hours. With this pressure department had to beat a retreat, & took the amendments back. In this manner, with LUB-Punjab’s initiative, MSMEs in Punjab were saved from lots of mental harassment & precious money. LUB-Punjab also thanked Sh.Anil ji Joshi (through advertisements in various leading newspapers of Punjab & Chandigarh), for putting at stake his political career in bringing this relief to Punjab MSMEs.
4. LUB-Punjab extended all assistance to Phillaur unit, in getting solved their demand for declaring Phillaur industrial area in the proposed GLADA (Greater Ludhiana Development Authority), which was accepted by Department of Town & Country Planning Punjab, through its notification, issued by Chief Town Planner – Punjab, allowed in the 33rd Meeting of the Punjab Regional & Town Planning & Development Board, held on 01/09/2017, after the approval of the demanded amendments (including declaring of Phillaur industrial area) in the 32nd meeting of the Board, held on 99/11/2016, & amended Map published in the newspapers ‘Dainik Bhaskar’, ‘Ajit’& ‘Hindustan Times’ on 2/12/2016. LUB-Punjab persistently raised this issue of the 70 years old Phillaur industrial area, which created lots of problems for its 45 odd industrial units by not being considered an industrial area in new GLADA site plan (2007 – 2021), with the then industries minister Punjab Sh. Madan Mohan Mittal, Union minister of state Sh.Vijay Sampla, the then CPS Sh. Som Prakash, & many other persons at the helm of the affairs, including the then Deputy CM Punjab (in his maiden meeting with representatives of Punjab MSMEs in Punjab Bhawan Chandigarh, where LUB too was invited to put forward problems of Punjab MSMEs).
All these concerted efforts paid-off, & now this issue is conclusively settled!
5. LUB-Punjab is also trying to get similar relief to the MSMEs of Sirhind, the industrial area of which too is shown in residential area of proposed Master-plan, & Mohali MSMEs, by getting sanctioned small industrial plots for them, as most of the industry in Mohali is running in rental sheds, which is making them difficult to secure bank loans. LUB-Punjab (especially Sh. Dinesh Lakra) arranged many meetings with PSIEC authorities & Mohali industrial representatives, with the assistance of Mohali LUB-unit office-bearers.
6. LUB-Punjab also played an important part in getting solved the water effluence problem of electroplating units of Jalandhar MSMEs, & led the delegation, which met the then Punjab CM Sh. Prakash Singh Badal, in Punjab Bhawan Chandigarh.
7. Due to the incessant efforts of LUB-Phagwara, time to time assistance of LUB-Punjab & able guidance of National LUB, another feather in the cap of LUB-PUNJAB has been added, that, The Foundary & Gen.Engg.Cluster of Phagwara is completed after all necessary approvals. Now the construction is going to be started very soon, & the order for machinery is also to be placed!
8. LUB-Punjab media/press-cell secretary Sh. Vikrant Sharma also deserves special mention, for being able to get ample space in the leading newspapers, in highlighting the activities & achievements of North-West LUB, & in creating public interest, opinion & awareness towards the various problems of MSMEs, & their possible solutions!
9. During this period, the potential of some of the working & executive committee members too was noticed, who could contribute in a fruitful way, in the near future, for the growth of this great organisation. In this regard – Sh.Samir Khanna, Sh.Avnish Parmar, Sh.Vishal Dada, Sh.Rajiv Jain, Sh.Amit Goyal, Sh.Darshan Singh Sambih, Sh.SS Kang, Sh.Harish Gupta, Sh.Pradeep Gupta, Sh.Manoj Bimbra, Sh.Manoj Taheam, Sh.Rakesh K Dhir, Sh.Vivek Rathour, Sh.Puneet Dhingra, Sh.Amit Kapur, Sh.Pankaj Gautam, Sh.Pradeep Mongia, Sh.Anil Sharma deserves special mention.
Dear LUB-Punjab members, I was again asked to serve LUB-Punjab in the capacity of its prant President, for another term, by the then national president Sh. O P Mittal, Org. Sec. Sh. Prakash Chandra, in-charge LUB-North & past National President Er.Sh. Vinod Jain, in LUB-Punjab quarterly executive meeting, held in Phagwara on 23/07/2017. I’d tried to serve this great organization as its LUB-Punjab prant general secretary, from 2011 to 2015, & as its president since 2015, to the best of my ability, under the able guidance of Er.Sh. Vinod Jain, Dr. Raghuvir Suri, Sh.Ashok Gupta, Sh. Dinesh Lakra, Sh. SD Bharat, Sh. Lalit Sharma, Sh.Chander Shekhar Gupta & most of all late Sh. Pankaj Dheer. Both Sh. Vinod Jain & Sh. Pankaj Dheer clearly told me in the very beginning when I was made part of LUB, that, there are no posts in LUB, there are only responsibilities, which each of us have to perform keeping in mind only the well-being of MSMEs as a whole. We have to focus only in giving our best to the LUB, MSMEs, society & nation, & never to worry, how we are rewarded in return!
We all are making necessary efforts in making LUB-Punjab as the leading prant in entire India. For this we’ve to convert incomplete units such as –Ferozepur, Nabha-Samana , Sunam,Taran-Taran & Sultanpur-Kapurthala in to complete units, & also have to spread LUB to those parts of Punjab, where it has negligible or no presence, especially, East (Rajpura, Lalru etc.), North (Kurali, Ropar etc.), South (Dhuri, Barnala, Bathinda etc.) & North-west (Pathankot, Gurdaspur, Dasuha, Mukerian, Talwara etc.).
Also, as you all are well aware that, construction work of new administrative headquarter building of LUB has started on a 477sq.mtr.plot at Pandit Deendayal Upadhyaye Marg, at New-Delhi (the bhoomi-poojan ceremony was performed on 3/6/2017). This multi-sotried building will be equipped with large administrative block, auditorium, conference room, residential block, parking & all the other modern amenities. This new National headquarter building in the heart of National Capital will not only be a mark of repute for LUB, but also it will boost its infrastructural capacity, efficiency & promptness tremendously. You all are requested to kindly contribute generously, & inform Er.Sh.Vinod Jain (in-charge LUB North-West) that, when should he visit your respective units (with LUB-Punjab team) to collect these contributions (which are 50% exempt u/s 80 G of IT Act)!
Please send your valuable suggestions, about improving the working of LUB, so that, we could expand its organizational network & also to make the numerical strength of LUB-Punjab, double in this silver-jubilee year of the establishment of LUB, & LUB could work with more enthusiasm for the betterment of MSMEs in Punjab!
ADV. ARVIND DHUMAL,
President, Laghu Udyog Bharti – Punjab.
Newsletter – LUB Punjab(New Year – Vikrami Samvat 2076) : Photos